Key results in 2018
Reduction of direct GHG emissions of electrolysis operations
2018 vs 2014
Decline in fresh water consumption by Metals segment
compared to 2008
Reduction of Non-hazardous waste generated excluding overburden (from mining)
2018 vs 2017
Young peled-fish were released into the Angara river basin
during five past years
Hydropower electric output
To support Russian and international initiatives and associations advocating active actions to prevent climate change
In 2016, RUSAL introduced a new 2025 strategy focused on cutting greenhouse gas emissions
- To ensure that at least 95% of electricity purchased by aluminium smelters comes from hydroelectric power plants and other carbon-free power generating;
- To reduce direct specific greenhouse gas emissions by 15% compared to 2014 at reduction processes at the existing aluminium smelters;
- To reduce direct specific greenhouse gas emissions by 10% compared to 2014 at the existing alumina refineries;
- To reduce the specific aluminium smelters power consumption by 7% as compared to 2011;
- To achieve the average level of specific direct and indirect energy related greenhouse gas emissions from reduction processes at the aluminium smelters not exceeding 2.7 t of CO2e/t Al1;
- To use internal carbon prices when making strategic and investment decisions starting from 2017;
- To support Russian and international initiatives and associations advocating active actions to prevent climate change and supporting carbon prices as long as they are aligned with the strategic goals of the company.
A million trees
We are implementing Russia's first large-scale forest conservation and reproduction project – ‘Forest Planting – one million trees’.
Forecasting weather impacts
This is a significant research project that will create a predictive model to forecast the future water levels of Lake Baikal.
Unique inert anode production technology
The introduction of our unique inert anode technology has helped us dramatically cut the environmental impact of our aluminium production.